Guidelines for PET CT Scan
To Prepare for the Exam
- Avoid heavy exercise starting the day before your test
- Have a normal dinner at night (8 – 12 p.m. )
- Remove all jewellery (chain, bangles, ear rings, nose pin) and leave it at home.
- Bring with you all ACTUAL films and reports of all previous diagnostic tests (MRI, CT, X-Ray and PET CT Scan) done at any facility.
- Do not bring children or pregnant women with you.
- Drink plenty of water, being well hydrated is important but starting morning, you should not have any sugary food or drinks. For example, avoid fruit, fruit juice cold drinks, candy and desserts etc.
- Have no food or any other sugary drink (except plain water) for 6 hours before your appointment time.
- Do not smoke for at least 24 hours and Do not drink coffee / tea for at least 12 hours before scan.
- If you have prescription medicine to take before your scan, take it only with plain water.
Your scan will be scheduled for the middle of the day. Have light breakfast with your normal diabetic medicine in the morning. During the 4 hours before your appointment time, do not have anything else except water, not even insulin. DIABETICS MUST bring their insulin or pills (medicine). Blood sugar will be checked before scan. Scan may be cancelled, if blood sugar level is not within permissible limits.
What to Expect
- You must arrive ½ hour before your Appointment Time at the Diagnostic imaging front desk. Please bring an attendant with you.
- A nurse / technician will place a small IV cannula in your arm.
- You will be escorted to a room where you will be given a prescribed amount of a radioactive tracer (medicine) for the scan. You will rest for about 45 – 60 minutes while the medicine travels through your body. During this time DO NOT talk, read or move unless you want to go to the bathroom or here I an emergency. During the resting period you will be under electronic surveillance by the medical staff.
- You will then be brought to the PET CT Scanner Room. The actual scan will take less than one hour.
- Total time you will be here is approximately 2 – 2 ½ hours.
- After the doctor checks the scan, you may leave and continue with your regular activities.