The department has a full-fledged Histopathology section equipped with automated tissue processors, embedding station and cryostat, experienced pathologists and dedicated staff, providing highest quality surgical pathology services.
The services provided include
- Histopathological reporting of small biopsies as well as surgical resection specimens, giving precise extent of disease with pathological staging.
- Frozen sections Rapid intraoperative histopathological opinion is provided aiding in establishing
- Diagnosis/exclusion of cancer.
- Clearance of surgical resection margins.
- Status of lymph nodes.
and guiding the surgeon in type and extent of surgery required. This ensures optimal surgical resections.
- Immunohistochemistry A wide and exhaustive panel of antibodies for Immunohistochemistry are available, helping in
- Differentiating between cancer and various processes mimicking cancer.
- Establishing precise type of tumor.
- Subtyping of tumors, especially Lymphomas.
- Detecting minimal residual disease.
- Detecting site of primary tumor in metastases of unknown origin (MUO).
- Establishing hormone receptor status of the tumor, especially in breast cancers.
Second opinion on outside slides/blocks and review of pathologist′s opinion on biopsies and/or surgeries done elsewhere is also provided.