Breast Cancer Treatment
Treatments of Breast Cancer
Today most women with breast cancer are diagnosed at an early stage and they benefit from newer, more effective treatments. There are treatments available for patients at all stages of breast cancer. Often, more than one type of treatment is needed. The treatments used today are listed below and described in detail later in this section.
- Surgery: Taking out the cancer in an operation.
- Breast reconstruction: Surgery to rebuild a breast’s shape.
- Radiation therapy: Using high dose x- rays to kill cancer cells or keep them from dividing and growing.
- Chemotherapy: Using anti-cancer drugs to kill or stop the growth of cancer cells.
- Hormonal therapy: Using hormones to stop cancer cells from growing.
- Immunotherapy (Biological therapy): using the immune system to fight cancer or to lessen the side effects that may be caused by some cancer treatments. Many biological therapies are being tested in clinical trials.
- Complementary therapies: You should discuss their possible value and side effects with your medical doctor.